David Keen has consulted with health care organizations since 1983 and co-authored the book, The Crisis in Health Care: Costs, Choices and Strategies. Annette Humm Keen has experience as operations and marketing manager of a complementary medicine business before consulting with health organizations. Other Keen Independent staff have capabilities in public health and policy.
Expanding women’s health services. For a national women’s health organization, Annette Humm Keen evaluated how low-income women in Denver perceive health care and specifically what obstacles they face when seeking contraceptive counseling and access to birth control. Based on the principles of social marketing, Annette Humm Keen leads the pilot program that uses community outreach to provide women access to free contraceptive counseling and free or low-cost contraceptives through the City of Denver’s public health system. This model has been a segue to system-wide improvements within Denver Health.
Work with hospitals, medical practices and other health providers. David Keen’s experience includes the following:
- In Pueblo, David Keen completed market research and strategic planning assignments for the Pueblo Community Health Center. Based on his research concerning customer perceptions, he worked with Center board and management to better market to target populations. He also investigated alternative site locations in the Pueblo area.
- For the Iowa Medical Clinic, a medical group in Cedar Rapids, David Keen helped Clinic leadership consider the strategic position of the practice. He worked with leadership to plan future hospital relationships, internal operations and facility needs.
- David Keen evaluated the market for expanded physical therapy practices in Cedar Rapids and in Denver.
- For St. Luke’s Methodist Hospital in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, David Keen helped to prepare a comprehensive strategic plan. He examined the Cedar Rapids health care market and physician community in detail and developed strategies by service line for capital improvements. Outreach relationships with other smaller hospitals, including purchases and management contracts, were evaluated. Mr. Keen assisted hospital leadership in developing a comprehensive approach to facility improvement and expansion.
- For a group of five hospitals in eastern Iowa, David Keen developed initiatives for the hospitals to work as partners to strengthen respective market positions. The analysis examined regional patient flows and hospital market shares by product lines as part of this effort.
- David Keen helped an orthopedic surgery practice develop a strategy to compete within the West Denver market.
- Mr. Keen helped community leaders in Fort Collins research, plan and open a clinic for low-income children.
- David Keen assisted hospitals and physicians in assessing a variety of program options in pain management, rehabilitation, orthopedics, cardiovascular services, women’s health, intensive care, emergency services, oncology, and neuroscience services.
- For several years David Keen worked with VHA-Iowa, a service organization to hospital members in eastern Iowa. He was responsible for developing marketing and service initiatives to meet joint needs among member organizations. Mr. Keen provided similar services for associations such as the Colorado Association of Community Health Centers.
- For the La Plata Health Care Project committee in Durango, David Keen performed an assessment of health care needs in the area. He helped define a new role for a county hospital that closed its acute care operations, recommending conversion of the hospital to a behavioral sciences center. Mr. Keen assisted in developing space planning and mental health services programming for the facility.
- For Bethesda PsychHealth System in Denver, Mr. Keen assisted in the implementation of a continuous quality improvement initiative. This work involved forming and training a quality council to coordinate the quality initiative, as well as facilitating periodic follow-up quality improvement meetings.
Other examples. Mr. Keen’s other past health care clients include:
- The Colorado Trust
- Denver Health;
- McKinley Health Center at the University of Illinois;
- Rose Medical Center, Denver;
- Santa Rose Health Care in San Antonio;
- Swedish Medical Center, Englewood; and
- Universal Gym.